Thursday, May 10, 2012

Steinbrenner Field (Formerly Known as Legends Field) - New York Yankees Spring Training Complex Review

In March, I had the chance to visit Tampa, Florida. While there, I of course did my best to get to a baseball game - and lucky for me the Yankees were hosting the Twins at Steinbrenner Field. While the tickets listed online through Ticketmaster were what I'd consider outrageous for a spring training game ($35+... in my mind, I guess I see Spring Training as going to a Minor League game - it shouldn't cost more than $10 for a bleacher seat - I mean, let's be honest - you don't get to see a lot of the best starters or the highest level of play and you also don't get the best amenities that a MLB stadium would afford you) I was able to get $8 tickets off StubHub (which, please don't see this as a ringing endorsement of StubHub, in many ways, I think it's just legalized scalping and I hate seeing some teams have every game "sold out" because investors have bought tickets on stub hub hoping to make a profit - so in some ways, it made me feel better that someone "lost out" on these tickets by turning a loss on them... anyway, I digress, and I apologize for my rant about Stub Hub). 

Alas, Steinbrenner Field. It was a neat place to be, a very mini Yankee stadium. It's what I'd expect for a Yankee field - references to their long history, depictions of their famous frieze/facade and plenty of training fields surrounding the complex. It was a neat place to see some Spring Training action and the people who were there who were like real Yankees fans up north struck me just like they always do - passionate and knowledgeable about their team. I was pleased as I got to see some greats play, specifically, Mariano Rivera - I didn't want to miss out on him in what was being touted as his possible last season (and given the state of his current injury, it may very well be). I didn't get there early enough to try to get autographs (Tampa, you have a serious public transportation problem), but it was of no matter. The stadium is small and a little cramped - especially around the concourse, the food prices are what you'd expect at a baseball stadium and the sun can beat down on you (it's pretty warm in Tampa in March) if you're sitting in the wrong spot. Getting to the stadium proved difficult and it's not located in an area with anything to do other than watch the game (no sports bar within walking distance, etc.). Long story short, it's fun for an afternoon of baseball, but don't go in expecting Yankee Stadium. Hey, it's Spring Training after all. 


A view of a Concession Stand with reference to the famous frieze

The playing field



Tino Martinez - a Yankee hero of the 90's Dynasty

Mariano Rivera - a Yankee great in perhaps his last Spring Training

One of the practice fields behind the Stadium

George Steinbrenner statue

George Steinbrenner statue

A 9/11 Memorial (Note the Pentagon on the bottom and the WTC towers)


A view of the stadium and practice fields - from the outside, it reminded me a little bit of the old Yankees Stadium after the 1970s renovations: see here



No comments:

Post a Comment